Your electric rates are simply based on the cost of service for each rate class. It may be overstating it to say, “simply!” We have several components that drive electric rates.
- Energy-Kilowatt-hours used by the customer
- Demand-The amount of energy used or demanded by a customer over a given time. This is the peak need required by the consumer.
- Transmission-Cost to move the energy from the generator to a localized delivery point
- Distribution-Cost to distribute the energy from a localized delivery point to the end user
- Planning and Engineering-Ensuring the system is adequately built to serve the load
- Transformation-Cost to raise and lower the voltage that allow for transmission
- Administrative-Administrative costs related to entire function
These are just a few of the major drivers in your electric rates and it is easy to get lost in the maze of electric rate making. Our job is to collect enough money from our customers to pay our bills, maintain the system in place and be prepared in the event of an emergency or storm. We are also charged by state statue to be fair and equitable to all customers. Changing load patterns, fluctuating demands on the system, drastic weather events and even distributed generation facilities can all impact the cost of service for different rate classes.
We have completed a comprehensive review at SCPPD of each individual rate class and the cost to serve that rate class. We continue to evaluate the rates and making sure that we do not subsidize one rate class with another. In order to keep each rate class fair and equitable, we sometime need to make small adjustment to individual classes. Those adjustments are based on the cost to serve the class. If it is necessary to adjust different classes we hope to have minimal impact to each customer.
- Large Power-Public Authority LP4
- SMALL PUBLIC AUTH-1PH 3PH
- LARGE COMMERCIAL-1PH 3PH
- SMALL COMMERCIAL-1PH 3PH
- CUSTOMER GENERATION-RESIDENTIAL-NET METERED 1PH
- CUSTOMER GENERATION-NET METERED RESIDENTIAL&FARM
- LARGE POWER LP-1
- LARGE POWER LP-2